I had taken my son, Kel, to the Plaza Library to meet with his math tutor. I needed to pick up a non-driver volunteer for a phone bank at our house later that evening, but decided to check out the Absentee Voting location in the basement of the library, prior to making that run. Well, I impulsively talked myself into voting, since there was no wait and I decided to just get it done, even though Kelvin and Kel were not with me for this momentous occasion.
They did not have paper ballots at the Plaza Library, only the touch screen machines. But there was a paper printout of what I entered on the screen, that was to be sent in with the electronic data from the machine, so I felt secure about voting this way. I had carefully studied all the propositions and issues on the ballot, and went through the process fairly efficiently. When I finished voting, I felt like shouting and jumping for joy. Unfortunately, my dearest friends and family were not there to experience my elation with me.
I felt like something additional should be happening...like I should have purple ink on my finger, or some other symbol of my liberation, in being able to do my part to rewrite of the future of America and this planet.
I found comfort in the knowledge that I didn't have to worry about when and where I could vote prior to election day, since I will be tied up working for the campaign that on November 4, starting at 5:00 a.m.