Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Obama Nation
President Obama's address to the nation last night was Barack as we have come to know and love him. Straightforward, future oriented, challenging us all to rise to the occassion and make the sacrifices that our general good demands, unapologetic for confidently taking on more difficult challenges than our country has faced in decades, placing responsibility for where it lies without undue emphasis on blame, inspiring us to join together to accomplish this American democratic ideal. Listening to our President was a deju vu experience--once again, Barack Obama reached into the depths of our core patriotic values, challenging us to do what is right for the American people, to put American economic recovery above our own selfish and self-defeating interests. I definitely felt like I had "been here before." But there was a variation on the feeling...I had joined former Obama staff and volunteers to view the address at a restaurant in Westport, Kansas City. I revelled in the shared experience, with dear friends who had put so much of their lives on "hold" to achieve this moment. But something was different...we didn't have the tension of the unknown...can we REALLY (win the presidency for an "underdog"?) Today, I can't help but wonder...Have we set ourselves up to believe we can actually accomplish impossible goals, when there is, in reality, so much selfishness and evil in the world? Has this presidential campaign win made us naive to the dark side of human nature? Upon further reflection and after regaining my bearings, I conclude--we must learn from our successes...We can't afford NOT to BELIEVE and to TRY! In all sincerity, I am confident that we can, with the leadership of President Obama and his team, and with OUR investment and commitment, rise from the ashes of this wrecked economy and be the land of opportunity and of equality, and a beacon of hope to the rest of the world...in ways far superior to any that have previously existed. We will protect the interests of the American People, without exploiting the citizens of the rest of the world. In a less lofty manifestation of my confidence in President Obama's leadership, I'm leaving my retirement funds in the stock market, despite the temptation to put the investments in the safer government fund. That's how much faith I have that, under President Obama's leadership, the ills that have created this problematic economy can be cured. The Obama Administration will make mistakes, but will be willing to re-evaluate and take self-correcting actions to get back on course and return to core values. That is why we can all rest easy tonight.